Master of Science in Counseling

Graduate Programs

The Department of Counseling offers three master's degrees: the Master of Science in Counseling; the Master of Science in Counseling with a Concentration in Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling; and the Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling. All graduates are eligible to take the National Counselor Examination.

Master of Science in Counseling.

There are four different counseling specializations -- Career, College, Gerontological, and School. School counseling students are eligible for the State of California Pupil Personnel Services Credential with a specialization in School Counseling (P-12).

Masters of Science in:

Master of Science in Counseling: Concentration in Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling.

Students are eligible to sit for the State of California examination for the Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) license upon completion of all the Board of Behavioral Sciences requirements.

Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

Students specialize in one area of counseling. A student whose objective is an MFT license will follow the curriculum for the M.S. in Counseling: Concentration in MFCC. In addition, students may apply to take an emphasis in another counseling area, such as school, career, college, gerontological or rehabilitation counseling. If accepted, additional courses and fieldwork will be required.

We prepare MFT, School, and Rehabilitation counseling students for three credentials respectively: MFT license eligibility (Marriage & Family Therapy Program), PPS Credentialing (School Counseling Program), and CRC Credentialing (Rehabilitation Program).

Click on a program title to obtain a detailed description of each program option. You will find detailed explanations of the degree offerings, including specifics for each specialization. The format for the following sections include the title of the degree, the specialization, if applicable, a description of the program and specifics related to the degree objective. The last section for each program listed is the curriculum sequence the student can expect to cover over a span of two years.

Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor


Credential Program (must have MS in Counseling)

Pupil Personnel Services Credential: School Counseling Designation – The Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC) only program is designed to accommodate those individuals who currently hold a master's degree in counseling or a closely related field and who wish to acquire a credential enabling them to work as a school counselor in a public school setting.

Minor in Counseling (Undergraduate)

Minor in Counseling – Undergraduate Students We do not offer a Bachelor's degree Major in Counseling. Please refer to the SFSU Bulletin for an extensive list of undergraduate academic programs.


Download Adobe Reader. The documents on this website have been identified as having barriers to accessibility. The site owner is working to remedy these access barriers. If you experience problems using this site/the documents, contact