About our Program
The Department of Counseling makes every effort to disseminate current and applicable information about our program on a regular basis. The information contained here is intended to acquaint prospective students with the curricular requirements and appropriate application information they need to successfully matriculate into the program. In some instances, however, changes could have been made in policy or curriculum that are not contained here. If you have questions or are in need or assistance in the process of your selecting a program that is appropriate for your career goals, contact the coordinator of the program you are interested in. Visit the Faculty link for a list of faculty and their contact information.
Thank you for interest in SFSU and the Department of Counseling.
Complete two separate applications:
- San Francisco State University Graduate Studies online application. Not Later than January 15th, 2014.
- Department of Counseling program application
Pay the $25 Department of Counseling Application processing fee. See application for payment instructions.
Email Department of Counseling program application (email address will be provided on the department application form).
Submit your SFSU Graduate Studies online application by January 15th, 2014.
* Your GRE scores will not determine our recommendation to either admit or deny you admission to our program. We only use this score chiefly as a measure of writing proficiency and not necessarily for admission. We will review the Analytical Writing score so that we may determine your writing needs before you enter the program. We will not automatically disqualify applicants for admission because of their GRE Analytical Writing score. However, our department expects our students to write at the graduate level. Those who do not meet the minimum writing expectation, that is a 4.0 on the Analytical Writing Section of the GRE General Test, upon admission will be required to take a writing course, usually at an additional cost.
If you have any question about any of the components of the GRE or GRE test related questions, including test dates, fees, or whether you have to take the entire test, please contact the GRE Test administration. The department does not offer GRE preparatory classes. Please visit the GRE website.
Please read the FAQs prior to downloading the Department of Counseling program application.
Program Application for Fall 2014 Admission (Not yet available)
To open the application properly, you must use MS Word
- PPS Credential only program application (Must already have an MS in Counseling - Not yet available)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)